Imagination Dimension Realphobia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Manga

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Random : WARNING MUSIC IS MY DRUG DO NOT INTERRUPT THE GROOVE

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Manga   Manga EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 17:19

just throwing these on here for now; I will flesh them out more later.
Also, I seem to have this annoying habit of starting new shit before I finish what I have already started, and I can tell you right now that at least half of these are going to be a while in the finishing, because I haven't actually finished reading them yet

Soul Eater
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
Dr. Hitomi’s Monster Infirmary
Assassination Classroom
Ouran HighSchool Host Club
Princess Resurrection

and I am almost certain there are a couple more, but I can't seem to remember them at this time
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015 - 23:55

Rosario+Vampire

That was one of them
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptySun 23 Aug 2015 - 0:28

i should read the manga Bloody Mary
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyMon 24 Aug 2015 - 15:02

nana to karou?

anyone know anything about it?
Back to top Go down
TSDZ_President
Arbiter
TSDZ_President

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyTue 25 Aug 2015 - 12:27

Ero romantic comedy manga; has an OVA; has 2 live action movies; 15 volumes released, ongoing; reminds me of 50 Shades of Grey

Also it's Nana to Kaoru
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyThu 10 Sep 2015 - 12:10

To read:

Haruhi Suzumiya

I really want to see how the writers make this reality warper work
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptySun 13 Sep 2015 - 23:09

reading the manga for black lagoon, and at the part with the vampire twins, near the end of the arc
rock and benny are talking, and benny happens to mention that Gretel is beyond help, that she isn't going to stop killing
and i start to imagine how things might have been different if Gretel had lived, stayed with Rock and the Lagoon company, or perhaps even somewhere outside of Roanapur
obviously the girl wouldn't stop killing, but I like to think that she could have benefited from some direction, from a little more kindness, some encouragement here and a little prodding in a different direction
that can't happen now for ver blatant reasons, but you have to imagine how different things might have been under different circumstances
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptySun 20 Sep 2015 - 21:31

adding iono-sama Fanatics to the 'To-Read' list?
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyTue 27 Oct 2015 - 23:03

started reading 7th garden
not bad so far
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptySat 14 Nov 2015 - 11:02

So, kicking this show off, the read-manga list

I'll be honest with you: I have not finished many manga series. Yet. this is not because I necessarily get distracted, or because i don't like them; it's simply that most of the series I read are still ongoing. with that in mind, i am still going to go into detail as i can without spoiling people.

to start, the stuff I have actually finished
Soul Eater- people turn into weapons, people wielding those weapons, these couples battle evil for the Grim Reaper in order to keep the world in balance, fighting witches, monsters, and sometimes gods themselves.
Started this series for one explicit reason: I watched the anime, loved the anime, but got to the end and was like, '...hell no, there has got to be more to it than this.' So I went and read the manga it was based from. Very. Good. Decision. More plot, more complete story line, better character development, more characters. It was just so much more satisfying. Yes, it is well over 100 chapters long, but a fantastic read.

Rosario+Vampire- Normal guy gets sent to a school for monsters by accident, and has to keep his secret of being human while also dealing with the large number of girls who are pretty obviously in love with him. A harem series, but it gets dark in a fucking hurry.
If you have read my review on the anime, you will know already that I much prefer the manga already, but there is a good reason for that. the anime was a fairly rushed production, especially in season 2, but the manga took its time, and it flows so. much. better. It is also a Shit-ton darker of a series that goes to a lot of uncomfortable places.
R+V is, hands down, my favorite series I have read thus far. I...I just love this series to pieces. it may be a harem series with all that that entails, but it went so far above and beyond that it can't be considered Just another harem series anymore. Not sure what I can say except for Fucking Read This Series. you will have a good time, i promise you

Princess Resurrection- Kid moves to a new town to join his sister in working at an impressive mansion. In an unfortunate accident, he dies, but is brought back to life because, by some stroke of fate, his employer is a princess among monsters with the power to grant virtually eternal life. Where it goes from there is wherever his royal master wants to go.
Actually just finished this series yesterday, but like both of the above, I have seen the anime as well, and while I was not necessarily disappointed I knew there had to be more to the story. Oooh, was I in for a treat. what you see in the anime covers only about a third of the entire story, and my god does it get good at times, especially with the characters. it has some good twists and turns and has great flow from one arc to the next, even though a specific arc will rarely take more than one or two chapters.

now the stuff i am still working on:
Ouran High School Host Club: TS and I both have talked about this series already, and it is great. Girl gets mistaken for a boy at a very upscale school for rich kids and after breaking an expensive vase is forced to work for the club to repay them. Hilarity ensues, and a lot of people love it, including me.
I'm still a little over halfway finished with this series, but i can tell you the manga goes much further than the anime. that said, i don't put the anime down at all; it's fantastic, and outright gorgeous. the manga just takes it a few steps further, and apparently years into the future. going to have to wait and see where it goes, but I like and recommend both to anyone

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou- Monsters are real, and with the government's help they are integrating well into society. Unless you are Kimihito Kurusu, in which case your monster social worker just kind of dumps them in your lap. Gratuitous amounts of hilarity ensue.
very much an ecchi series, but good for laughs, has some great art, and lots of wonderful characters, and if you keep reading it actually does have a slowly developing plot-line. It is still going to take a number of years to get anywhere with that story, i suspect, but i personally am willing to wait. if you couldn't tell, this series is ongoing; i started reading it i believe freshman year of college, and it was only at around chapter... 23 i want to say. yeah, it takes a while, but personally i think it is worth it.
some of my friends? not so much (looks at TS).
nah, they just like to give me shit, and this series makes it Really fucking easy.
Anyhow, moving on...

Dr. Hitomi's Monster Infirmary- A slice of life story that makes monsters out to be little more than regular humans, just with some fun abilities. Very light-hearted story with little in the way of actual plot, but plenty of world-building around the school and the characters you meet inside it. Lovely art and wonderful characters all around. I would definitely recommend this one, though not as much as those above

Black Lagoon- japanese businessman gets kidnapped and ends up joining a smuggling crew in the hardcore city of Roanapur.
also mentioned watching the anime of this one, and it did a great job of following the mange, for as long as it lasted. This series is technically ongoing, but the writers have not updated in like, 2 1/2 years, so don't know if i would still count it, which is sad considering they stopped it on a cliffhanger. Still, really good, gritty series if you like blood and guns, and it has some really great characters, especially Rock, who just gets darker and darker as the series progresses. it also just Barely toes the line on making some of its more physical characters superhuman, and considering most of those characters are female...it's a good time all around. at least for me

Finally, Assassination Classroom- superbeing has destroyed 70 percent of the moon and promises to do the same to the Earth within one year. but before it does that, it makes one simple demand: to be allowed to teach a class at one particular high school. The creature is a fantastic teacher, even as the kids try to kill it to get at the 10 billion yen reward for doing so.
the anime of this series was great, even if it skipped out on a few details, but I can't wait for season 2 (which they Have said they will do at a later date). still, if you want those details, or just can't wait for that season 2 to come out, the manga is a great read, and let's just say there are a Lot of spoilers that i would love to go into, but can't.
i have actually been waiting for Mondays to come around so i can read the latest on this series, and it is damn good. Highly recommend to anybody. It takes itself lightly, but don't let that fool you; this series gets hardcore at times

Whoo- and that is that. i will probably be putting up the anime reviews in a bit. thanks for tuning in.
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyTue 15 Dec 2015 - 16:55

Not gonna get into it quite yet, but semi-wanting to start Blood and Steel
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyFri 18 Dec 2015 - 1:28

Turns out that Blood and Steel is going pretty slow, and Yamanko is much easier of a read ^^
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyMon 11 Jan 2016 - 1:44

So, I am caught up on 7th Garden. It is still updating, but I'm kind of worried about the release progression. There's only been 6 volumes released, and it has been over a year since it started. There were 2 chapters released last January, then the next one wasn't released until August, then two in December. the last one was only just released this past week.

On that same note, Assassination Classroom is starting to give me similar concerns, considering that it has the same issue, but it is currently undergoing the longest hiatus thus far.
on AssClass, though, I am actually expecting that to switch up soon, because if the author is going to do what I expect, the series is going to finish in about 2 months. We'll see if I'm right
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyWed 20 Jan 2016 - 22:00

I recently started (and finished) a short manga series called Yuusen-Shoujo- Plug-in Girl
It’s only about 14 chapters in length, not long, and doesn’t get truly in-depth with the world at large, but it was still fun for an afternoon.
The manga centers around a kid named Tsukihiko, who wants to be a hero and protect others, and starts with him trying to protect a young girl from an assassination attempt. The incident almost kills the both of them, but they are saved through the wonder that is science. Then they meet up again years down the road, and it soon becomes apparent that they are going to have to go through the same shit all over again.

Tsukihiko is a pretty typical shonen-MC- strong as hell, dumb as rocks, kind as a saint, doesn’t know his own limits, etc. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way, but not enough to totally throw me off the series.
Idk. Probably not for everybody, but I’d at least give the first couple chapters a try.
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyTue 26 Jan 2016 - 15:36

I am now caught up on the one punch man manga

that...did not take as long as i thought it would

EDIT: Allow me to correct myself- I am now caught up on ALL my current manga, with the exception of Deadman Wonderland, and am waiting impatiently for new chapters to come out
I really need to put up some reviews

Also, I am now starting Mahou Tsukai no Yome, so that's a thing
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyFri 12 Feb 2016 - 13:37

Adding Shounen Princess- Putri Harimau Nao to the reading list
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016 - 22:06

Current reading list:
tensei shitara slime dakka ken
yamanko
Arachnid

in addition to Blood and Steel, One Punch Man, Overlord, Assassination Classroom, etc
you know, the ones I am waiting on to update...
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyWed 9 Mar 2016 - 11:22

starting Princess Lucia
...why do i read so much ecchi? it makes no sense

also, assassination classroom will be ending this month, so i might actually write down some reveiws soon
Back to top Go down
TSDZ_President
Arbiter
TSDZ_President

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyWed 9 Mar 2016 - 13:50

JadeDemilich wrote:

why do i read so much ecchi?

It's a mystery
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyThu 10 Mar 2016 - 10:44

apparently ancient magus bride is getting an anime
only a few episodes, but this is really fucking cool

EDIT: OMG the preview is so pretty!
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyFri 18 Mar 2016 - 12:40

Finally!

Shounen princess- putri harimau nao
A small, wealthy country’s crown prince fell in love with at first sight when he saw the picture of a Japanese girl. That’s all well and good, except that the picture is many years old, and the girl as actually a boy. The story might have ended right there, except that said boy’s father is a rather unscrupulous bureaucrat in the Japanese government, who forces his son to dress as a girl and ships him off to wed the crown prince for the sake of diplomatic connections. And Then it gets crazy
There is a lot left open, plot-wise, but this is still a fantastically drawn comedy series, with plenty of drama as well. Usually I am not a fan of comedy series, but the writers here managed to mix enough serious with the silly to make the story compelling (for me, anyway). At only 6 chapters long, this one doesn’t even take that much time to complete (though there are hints that the story might continue at some point)

Yamanko
This was a fairly short series about supernatural stuff happening around girls in high school.
…okay, what’s new?
Now, the original premise? A girl from a family whose members were all possessors of demon spirits? A girl whose left eye can see anything supernatural? A girl whose aura hides and suppresses all others? This could have been a very cool set-up.
Instead, they use the premise primarily as a slice of life manga, and covering very little background or actual character development. Even the bit of romance that two of the girls have feels undeveloped and unsatisfying, and when that is one of the main reasons you signed up for the manga? Kinda sucks.

Still, it’s light-hearted, easy to read, and had some decent art. It had some good comedy and gave some good heartfelt moments, and as slice of life’s go, this is hardly the worst out there
Still, where satisfaction is concerned, gotta say I was disappointed with this one.

Assassination Classroom
This one just ended yesterday, and have to say, the ending was a slight bit anticlimactic, but for the story and the characters involved it was perfect.

As I have mentioned before this is a story about the moon being mostly obliterated, and then the creature responsible saying that he’ll do the same to the Earth in one year, but until then he wants to teach a particular class at a particular junior high school. The government agrees because it will at least partially pin him down so they can do their level best to kill him before the year is up, and the kids agree to help because if they kill him they will be rewarded with an obscene amount of money.
Turns out that the seemingly alien creature is actually incredibly hard to kill, mostly because he has a host of superpowers (primarily the ability to move at speeds of mach 20) and is constantly learning how the kids operate. Also, it is hard on the kids because he is the best teacher they have ever had, and is actively trying to build them up in a place where they are constantly ground down.

This is a great story with a freaking Host of well-rounded and developed characters, and leaves few (if any) loose ends that need outside exposition. Furthermore, it does indeed get out there at times, but a good bulk of the feats are realistically possible, or at least grounded in realism before being exaggerated. Further props for the series giving a lot of real-world advice on studying and working to improve yourself, not the least of which is to play to your strengths, cover your weaknesses, and find what tactics work for you

There is an anime, and it does a great job of keeping with the zany humor of the show, but having followed the manga for close to two years I can confirm that they do leave some scenes out for the sake of time (and they are at least a season away from completion, but that’s another story). Still, both are well-done, and I would highly recommend both to anyone who is curious.
The only thing I can really detract from this series is that, even with the expanse it had, there were simply so many characters in it that there simply wasn’t enough screen-time to go around, so if you have a favorite character that isn’t one of the highlighted characters (such as Nagisa or Karma), then you might not get to see as much of them as you’d like.

Claymore
I watched the manga of this series a few years ago when I was first getting into anime, and it was good, but I didn’t even catch half of the full story, so I’m intensely glad I went back and read the manga

For those of you who are still catching up, Claymore is a story about a continent filled with demonic creatures called yoma, who eat people, and the only ones who have the strength to fight them are female warriors known as Claymores, who have been infused with yoma flesh in order to gain their strength. The main antagonist of the series is a Claymore known as Clare, who is introduced as an utter badass before being revealed as being the weakest of the current set of warriors. Clare became a warrior in order to hunt down a particular yoma who killed someone very important to her, and that’s about all I can say before we start hitting spoilers.
     What I can tell you is that this series has an immense number of characters, most of whom are loveable in their own ways (even the bad gusy). Favorites of mine (Clare notwithstanding) are Teresa, Cassandra, Riful and (surprisingly) Dauf. The manga also cured my annoyance over one particular kid from the anime (mostly by going beyond the timeskip and showing how he grew up).

For a series about warriors and fighting, the main topic of Claymore isn’t actually about the fighting itself, but rather about friendship and camaraderie getting you out of that fighting alive and sane, showing how relationships born in blood and adversity are sometimes the strongest
That said, Claymore does leave a lot of unanswered questions (even in the manga). Personally, I don’t mind, but if you are going in looking for all the answers, you can go ahead and stop

I wouldn’t say this is my favorite manga series, per se, but it is definitely high on the list, and I would recommend it to just about anybody

If you are wondering why this post is so thin when i haven't posted here in so long, that is because most of the series I am reading are still ongoing. currently that includes:
Blood and Steel
Overlord
Ancient Magus Bride
Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
Princess Lucia
Arachnid
One Punch Man (both the redraw and the original)
7th Garden
kumo desu ga, nani ka?
Spirit migration

and the list is probably just going to get longer at this point, because I am finding new manga series before I can finish the old ones (or before the ongoing titles can finish). And, funnily enough, I am perfectly fine with that

Last edited by JadeDemilich on Thu 21 Apr 2016 - 16:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyTue 5 Apr 2016 - 11:38

Just picked up Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?, and it's pretty good. they've only been putting these out since december, so i'm already caught up, but from what i've been able to read, the light novel is supposed to be really good, so i'm just sitting here hoping they update soon because shit is supposed to hit the fan
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manga   Manga EmptyThu 21 Apr 2016 - 15:38

Add: Spirit Migration
Back to top Go down
JadeDemilich
JadeDemilich

Manga Empty