Imagination Dimension Realphobia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Breaking from the Shell

Go down 
+7
Ta]R[SoNiS
CaR_HoPPeR
BloodKiaser923
inMadness
Saiteiru
TSDZ_President
Bestdragon3
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
inMadness
inMadness

Random : No, I won't teach you the ways of the force... Ok, I'll teach you the way's of the force.; ~ Yoda, Daggobah System

Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011 - 11:26

Peace and quiet; those were Smarag's bedfellows. He arrived back at the secluded and generally randomn location of the now brutally disfigured knoll, and began working immediately.

He might complain that there was much to do, but in truth, the escape that morning and the effect of that escape on the tunnel would serve to expedite his task. The tunnel was dug; Now it just needed a few adjustments and additions. He began by cleaning out the tunnel of the loosened dirt, adding to the drying piles of sediment and roots arranged around the entrance. He made a mental note to do something with those piles; As of now, they were as beacons that said, "There is something down there; What could it be." No; seclusion was important, and so was the inconspicuousness of his lair.
Back to top Go down
NeoDrac54
NeoDrac54

Random : Normal is an illusion... In truth nothing is normal

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011 - 22:39

Saren caught her breath for a moment, before diving under the water and pushing the bones out of the cave, the movement causing bubbles to rise to the surface. Sighing, Saren then swam for the surface of the water, looking around as she appeared and spotting Validus.

"Oh Hey~" She said with a smile, swimming over to him.
Back to top Go down
TSDZ_President
Arbiter
TSDZ_President

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyTue 26 Apr 2011 - 6:52

Validus catches one more fish and swallows it before surfacing.

"Hello"
He responds
Back to top Go down
NeoDrac54
NeoDrac54

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyWed 27 Apr 2011 - 17:39

"I see you've gotten the hang of fishing..."
Saren smiled as she spoke, nodding her approval. She had thought he could do it, and his actions only proved her assumptions.
"And I've finally managed to find myself a home... What about you?" Saren tilted her head, treading water easily as she watched him.
Back to top Go down
TSDZ_President
Arbiter
TSDZ_President

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyWed 27 Apr 2011 - 18:10

Validus cocks his head slightly
"Home?"

He hadn't really thought about it, but he doesn't have a home it seems

"No...I haven't chosen a nest or anything yet..."
He replies, looking back towards the others a little
Back to top Go down
NeoDrac54
NeoDrac54

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyWed 27 Apr 2011 - 19:03

"Well... no rush Validus. It's not like we really need to hide here. We're already much larger than anything in the woods... And there's nothing else under there except for bones... and me of course." At the last statement, she smiled, gesturing to the water they were currently swimming in. To be honest, Saren was quite happy with her new watery home... If she had any approaching intruders, she could always stun them with a shock of electricity.
Back to top Go down
Bestdragon3
Public Affairs Manager
Bestdragon3

Random : Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptySun 1 May 2011 - 20:36

A few clouds started rolling above the mountains; thunder rumbling deep within them. The air started to get a lot colder, and most already knew that a powerful storm was on the way.
Back to top Go down
inMadness
inMadness

Random : No, I won't teach you the ways of the force... Ok, I'll teach you the way's of the force.; ~ Yoda, Daggobah System

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptySun 1 May 2011 - 20:59

Smarag backed out of his tunnel slowly, looking to the sky once out.
Blast. He hadn't prepared for this, but not an unfixable problem; and a foreseen use for some of his dirt mounds.

He had made good progress, instead of widening the chamber he used before, which had now become part of the tunnel itself, he dug down from that point, deeper into the earth, where he would have infinite directions to expand. Still, his home could easily become a tomb if it filled with water. Nature; she tested his will to survive again, and he welcomed the challenge with open arms.

He built up berms, in a wedge in front of the entrance. Piling and piling, the spare dirt from within his tunnel easy mounded into an enclosure that would block run off, but would still collect a good amount of rain water if left as it was. Being the loose material that it was, it wouldn't be easy to create drainage that wouldn't destroy the berm's redirective properties.

Smarag climbed up and out of the barrier he built carefully, happy with it's density beneath him; a little rainwater, and it would bond even better, no longer loosened clay and soil. He looked back; with some grass, that mound would certainly be inconspicuous, he thought to himself before looking around, testing his resourcfulness in engineering a drainage system.

"What would Varek do? He is certainly resourceful." He trodded forward, examining trees, and different bushes, brainstorming uses in protecting his "rabbit hole"'s entrance.
"Do I dare ask for help?" He added, stopping at an old tree, long lost of life, but still holding strong to what structure termites had allowed it; it would be easy to hollow.
Back to top Go down
Ta]R[SoNiS
Ta]R[SoNiS

Random : The beatings will continue until morale improves!

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyMon 2 May 2011 - 18:24

A storm was coming. Varek stayed inside his cavern, thinking of ways he could avert death all while saving the home. The area was full of trees, so he would be safe from most of the wind, and he trusted his cavern was sturdy enough, being made of clay, rock, and supported by the roots of the large tree in the center of the island. The problem was flooding. The tree was in the center of the island, while the cave was on the side nearest the lake. Although the cave was above the water level in its entrances, parts of it dipped down, most notably a large area in the center. And the water level could always rise. Fortunately, it was mainly clay, with the exception of large boulders apparently lodged into the dirt walls and rock beneath it, vegetation above, meaning water couldn't easily seep in. The main problem would be water flooding in from the upper entrance via the river, spilling through the cave, and washing everything out through the lower entrance.

He couldn't make the upper entrance smaller, that would be inconvenient, and parts of the lower part of the cave were dirt. He needed to somehow safely channel water out of the cave without it flushing out everything currently in the cave. Varek sat and pondered how he knew this before realizing time was short. Tunneling in wet clay wasn't an easy job to do without something long. Varek ventured outside into the beloved forest and picked out a somewhat wide in diameter, long, and straight fallen branch before reentering the cave. He drilled a few holes in the lower side of the cave, continuing to twist the branch until he felt no more resistance on the other side, a symbol that he'd breaken through. Often times he'd hit a boulder or find the wall was too thick, or possibly a branch, and would have to start over. The second part of the plan was to dig channels all over the cave, to drain out water seeping through the walls and divert small amounts coming in from the higher enterance. He planned to do this with the branch, but turns out, it broke. He had to use his claws, wasting time.

After some channels were dug, mainly concentrated around the center and lower parts of the room, all leading into the holes he'd made. Now it was time to hold back the main flood should it happen, usually as a huge wave coming from the highest point of the river. Since both entrances of the cave were on the riverbanks, none of which faced directly towards the river's source, the water flooding in would be limited, but not insignificant. Varek figured he had no chance of holding it back, so he got to work piling clay up on both sides of the top entrance in two mini walls leading down to the bottom. This, would take time.
Back to top Go down
Day of Light
Admin
Day of Light

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyMon 2 May 2011 - 18:36

Once Nerea's inner instinct recognized a storm--a coming storm--as bad news for her nest and not good for her, she quickly gathered that it was no point trying to find a place to sleep outside when she already had the strange human's cave. She knew it was still early. She knew that she had time until the rain started to pour; and so she didn't consider putting some leaves on the cave's rock floor a priority.

Instead she opened her--now much wider--wings and flew off the ground in direction of nowhere in particular. She acknowledged that being airborne when the sky was full of charged electricity probably wasn't the best of choices. But she was willing to risk a couple of scales for a day of... joyflying?
Back to top Go down
http://hinaoki.weebly.com/
NeoDrac54
NeoDrac54

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyMon 2 May 2011 - 21:04

Saren glanced up at the storm. "You might want to take shelter some where, Validus.... If you leave now, you could probably make it to the human's cave before the rain starts or the wind picks up..." Saren said, looking up at the sky again. The lake seemed a little choppy, but that wouldn't affect her underwater home. the currents above would only trouble surface dwellers.

"If you don't think you can make it, you can wait out the storm with me too.... Whatever your decision, I would make it fast." Saren turned her attention back on Validus. She hoped her their nest mates would be fine during the storm, but they all seemed resourceful after all.
Back to top Go down
Bestdragon3
Public Affairs Manager
Bestdragon3

Random : Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyTue 3 May 2011 - 13:11

Anyone who would go up to the strange man's cave would notce that there was no entrance! It was as if there was never a cave there, but the path leading to it gave the idea that there used to be a cave. Just... Not anymore.
Back to top Go down
inMadness
inMadness

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyTue 3 May 2011 - 15:12

He pushed the dead tree over with ease, snapping it from it's aged root system. It's twenty foot length broke into several smaller pieces on impact, but he only needed one. With a little trial and error, he only ruined three pieces before he found an effective method of splitting the rotten tree in half. He dragged it back to his den before carving the rotten wood from the inside of the split tree segment, leaving only a "rind" consisting of the tree bark and a thin layer of the tree within.

Instead of trying to force the new aquaduct through the bottom of his barrier, he cut the middle man and simply tore the front corner down, set the tree piece, and buried it. When finished he had a hole about the size of an adult fox running through the bottom of the wedge-tip of the berm. It was slanted downhill so if the entrance gathered any rainwater, most, if not all, would drain.

He took a step back to admire his work, and shook the dirt from his toil away from him. Crisis averted, he thought before looking at the sky to check it's progress; he was eager to see if his den would hold up to the elements, but just as eager to continue expanding the inside a bit more. And then like a flash, he felt a sense of urgency about him, and it led him to hunger; He'd have no time for flying, and so, no time to look for food. It was time to eat again.

With a running start, he took to the air and began back to the serpents remains; fortunate it was such a large beast.

Shitty sketch of my den entrance concept. A bit dis-proportionate, but it's meant to be a big tree; nothing to really refrence that other that the smaller tree used for the drain at the bottom and that should really only be about half as large as I drew it.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Day of Light
Admin
Day of Light

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyTue 3 May 2011 - 15:36

It was probably an immediate stroke of luck that just an hour after Nerea decided to do nothing in particular that she got bored and dived down to get some fallen leaves for her nest in the cave. When she was in front of the entrance, she stopped dead in her tracks as she realized that there wasn't no entrance.

Annoyed, the purple dragon flew away without further examination, leaving the twigs there and then.

She knew she really had to find herself a nest now. She had some kind of personal obligation over herself. And then she concluded that she did not feel like doing it at all. For the first time in her life, Nerea felt the weight of responsibility crash down into her stomach. Lumping into her throat. It wasn't pleasant.
Back to top Go down
http://hinaoki.weebly.com/
Ta]R[SoNiS
Ta]R[SoNiS

Random : The beatings will continue until morale improves!

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyTue 3 May 2011 - 15:58

Varek had finished the 'walls'. He hesitated to call them that since they didn't reach the ceiling, and were more like clay mounds that were slightly more long than wide. Yes, not walls. The cavern's entrances were wide albeit long tunnels, so Varek figured his stash would be somewhat safe from the wind, and so would he. For safety reasons, however, he decided it was best to put all the small objects and sticks into a small but relatively deep hole in the cave floor he tried to dig up.
Back to top Go down
TSDZ_President
Arbiter
TSDZ_President

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyTue 3 May 2011 - 21:36

"Mmmmm..."
Validus hums. He would then crawl out of the water and look up at the sky, noting the storm. He makes his way into the forest in order to find somewhere to take shelter
Back to top Go down
NeoDrac54
NeoDrac54

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptyTue 3 May 2011 - 21:57

Saren worried for the others, but with another glance at the sky, and at the urging of her stomach, she swam, ducking under the choppy water to catch some fish before she would have to go and hide in her cave. She swallowed the first two whole, swimming behind them and opening her mouth to scoop them up. With the third fish, she snagged the tail, and after a brief gulp of air from the surface, she ducked down to swim to her underwater cave. Crawling up onto the rocks in the cave, she ate her third fish slowly, planning on sleeping some whilst she waited out the storm.
Back to top Go down
inMadness
inMadness

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptySat 7 May 2011 - 22:50

Hurry, Hurry, Hurry; Smarag's mind was racing as he soared through the turbulent and darkened sky. He wasn't so much concerned with food, as finishing this flight as soon as possible. He neared the serpant, already seeing its massive husk in the distance from his vantage point, and picked up a large about of speed by tucking his wings and forcing the slightest dive he could manage without stalling, cutting travel time in half.

He hit the ground with grinding skid followed by a mild gallop to swallow the rest of the momentum; it carried him right up to the serpant, where he carefully began to fill himself again; he took a moment while eating to examine the groups progress on the remains, but was still confident there was plently enough for himself many times over. He finished eating quickly, and not wanting the heart-pounding challenge of staying aloft in those winds, he followed the lakes edge until he reached the forest leading to his den.
Back to top Go down
Saiteiru
Saiteiru

Random : A little glass vile?

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 EmptySat 7 May 2011 - 23:21

(This is rather unsafe... I should find a way to shelter myself) Pacis thought to himself, as he began to burrow underground. After he found himself ten feet down, he began to burrow a small den taking him only ten minutes. He then dug deeper down from the entrance hole as to lead leaking water away from the den, he dug it fifteen more feet down and then made a small space around it twenty five feet in diameter, then crawled upwards to the den. (That should keep it from overflooding, although I'll have to learn to live with the dampness of the wet earth. If it does begin to flood I should think of making an escape route... Perhaps if I dug further along... But a pathway might collapse...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaking from the Shell    Breaking from the Shell  - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Breaking from the Shell
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Imagination Dimension Realphobia :: Archives :: Good ol' Times :: Roleplays-
Jump to: